Examines the impact of global change on agriculture and food production and effects of changes on human societies through challenges such as malnutrition, food safety and sustainability.
- Food Security and Global Change (2004 – Present)
- Partners: Pennsylvania State University
- “The Ethics of Food Security.”
- Presented to “Food Ethics 2011/12 Lecture Series,” The Pennsylvania State University, February 13, 2012.
- “Terrorism and Food Security: Understanding the Changing Landscape of Threats and Vulnerabilities in the Food System.”
- Presented to “The Future of Terrorism II,” The Pennsylvania State University, October 20, 2011.
- “Food Security and Global Governance: Considering Challenges to Ensuring Sufficient, Safe and Nutritious Food.”
- Presented at the 2011 annual meeting of the International Studies Association, Montreal, Canada, March 16-19, 2011.
- “Food Security: Reduced Agricultural Yields, Crop Failures and Possible Adaptations.”
- Presented to SIDG/Duke Global Health Institute Symposium “Beyond the Brink: Addressing Human Health and Security in a Changing Climate,” Duke University, February 11, 2011.
- “Food Security in a Global Age: Addressing Challenges from Malnutrition, Food Safety and Environmental Change.”
- Presented at the 2009 annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, Toronto, Canada, September 3-6, 2009.
- “Food Security and Global Environmental Change.”
- Presented to Canadian Studies: On the Edge – An Interdisciplinary Symposium, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, October 9, 2009.
- “The Security of Food Production: What Does the Future Hold?”
- Presented to the 2008 California Alfalfa & Forage Symposium and Western Seed Conference, San Diego, California, December 2-4, 2008.
- “Human Security and Food Security in an Age of Transnational Threats.”
- Presented to Public Policy and Security Speaker Series, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, May 10, 2005.
- McDonald, B. (2013). Ensuring Food Security: Meeting Challenges from Malnutrition, Food Safety and Global Environmental Change.
- In R. Floyd & R. A. Matthew (Eds.), Environmental Security: Approaches and Issues, (pp. 234-247). London: Routledge
- McDonald, B. (2010). Food Security.
- Cambridge: Polity Press.
- McDonald, B. “Food Security Emerges as a Complex Global Challenge.”
- The Journal of ERW and Mine Action. 2012; 16.1.
- McDonald, Bryan. “Food Price Shocks and Instability Highlight Weaknesses in Governance and Markets.”
- The New Security Beat, February 9, 2011.